Man-made Lines
Natural Lines
Geometric Shapes
Organic Shape
Value, black and white final
Form, feels 3D
Space, small depth of field
Space, close up
Color
Texture

Some weaknesses that I see in my work, that I would like to improve on, are that of taking pictures from the proper angles and making sure my pictures aren’t as blurry in some areas. I believe this is because I’m not using my time as scrupulously as I should, which I will work on next time I take photos. One of my strengths is finding subjects for pictures, I know what would be a good picture but it is just a matter of taking the photograph properly.

As I mentioned before, something I need to work on is using my time properly. I usually use a lot of time getting pictures of the same subject, and I end up not having enough pictures of different subjects that I can actually use. After learning about the elements of art/photography, I will definitely use them to improve my approach and my photos in the future.

In my photo, which utilizes organic shape, I was trying to convey feelings of mystery, dreariness, and intrigue. The photo sends an ominous message to the viewer, especially when witnessing the shadow of the man. The contrast between the white and the black gives the photo a very simple but intriguing appearance.

The elements of art that I feel I got the best pictures from are space and texture, so I definitely will focus on utilizing those in the future. However, one that I feel could be useful if used properly is that of lines. I feel that utilizing the element of lines will produce good pictures, but I just have to figure out how to get that element properly and then I will be satisfied.

Something that proved to be use full in this project, and one that I will use in the future, is using shadows. Shadows create a dreary and mysterious feeling in pictures, especially when they’re edited to be black and white. It is something that I really enjoy using, along with using different perspectives and focuses through the camera.

4 thoughts on “Up Close & Personal

1. Hi Dean, I like the pictures that you have and what you are doing. I would recommend getting certain better angles with the shadows and things like that. So for example in your manmade lines photo, I would probably either pick one(sun or shade), or perhaps do something with the rule of thirds. I would also try to make more pictures in different places so that way you don’t repeat any specific background images like when you repeated in the manmade lines and the organic shape & space, close up and natural lines. Even though these images were amazing, as a viewer it felt a little repetitive. I think your “Space, small depth of field” image really shows a lot of emotion and I like the differing backgrounds you have. The sky and greenery gives a good contrast to the pink flowers. Good work so far and keep it up!

2. My two favorite photos of Dean’s are his form and texture photos. These photos perfectly use angles to create the best possible photo. Dean’s value photo could be better. It could be better if he only had one model in his photo and used the rule of thirds on the one subject, rather than having two models in his photos. Dean’s close up photo accurately uses the FILL THE FRAME composition technique. I know this because the tree branch in his close up photo is large enough to fill up the frame of the photo.

3. Critique: The two photos in your showcase that I enjoyed the most were the man-made lines, and the geometric shapes. In the man made lines, it could have been ethier man made, or natural lines, but you chose man made. You took a very creative approach to it, as you took advantage of the shadow the sun made, and took a great photo. I know that it was man made lines, but I loved how the tiles in the photo created a whole new aspect to the photo, as those were also lines. The photo showcasing geometric shapes also caught my eyes because of how interesting it was. It was very simple but yet very good, as the lockers and the lighting made it a very aesthetically pleasing picture. One picture I think you could have improved on is the space, close up. The angle you took was quite unusual, and I was not sure what I was supposed to look at. However one comptostion technique you used was PATTERNS & REPETITION. You portrayed this one in the photo with the bug in it, as everything around the bug was a dull and boring color, but the bug was this bright interesting color which really stuck out to me and caught my eye.

4. I like organic shape and texture the most out of all ten photos because they feel mystical and unique. What I also like about these photos is the contrast in color and focus which add to the telling of a story. But one photo that could use work is color as it feels a little artificial and blurry. This makes the photo just a little hard to focus on. The organic shape picture uses many composition techniques like rule of thirds and diagonals. These techniques draw the eye to the contrast in black and white value in the center of the photo and the shadows interruption on the lighter side of the photo.